Sunday, August 10, 2008

Is It Ever Ok To Lie?, September 18, 2006

IN PAST WRITINGS, I HAVE MADE IT perfectly clear where I stand on the topic of lying. If your words hold no truth or honor, then you're worthless as a human being. A bit harsh? Yes. But then again, I put a lot of stock in honesty. As I often tell friends and relatives, there are two things in this world that I can't stand and won't tolerate......liars and thieves.

Then along come the results of a poll on lying in America recently conducted by the Associated Press. This poll is a really interesting snapshot into how far off the wagon America has fallen when it comes to being honest. On the very first question of the poll, 50 percent of the respondents said that under no circumstances would it ever be ok to tell a lie. A few questions later 2/3 of the respondents said that it was ok to lie in order to spare someone's feelings. Whoa!!! Now hold on just a second. I know I'm not a rocket scientist, but let do the math on this one. 50 percent said it is never acceptable to lie, then later, approximately 66.6 percent said it is okay to lie to spare someone's feelings.

Now as I said, I realize I'm not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, but my math says that, at a minimum, approximately 16.6 percent of the respondents lied about their attitudes on lying. At this point , I had to stop reading the article about the poll. The AP went out, got a bunch of liars to take a poll on lying who turned around got themselves caught lying on the poll about lying. LOL I see a SERIOUS credibility problem here. I'm still trying to figure out who is sadder...the AP or the liars.

But seriously though, it did get me to thinking about how much society has changed over just the last couple of generations. There are some things that are tolerated and accepted today that would have never been considered socially acceptable in decades past. Lying is one of those things. Then again, what do you expect when you have a sitting president of the United States who gets caught lying, is impeached by Congress, suffers no reprecussions, and watches his popularity soar. I'll bet Gary Hart is really kicking himself now.

Now with all that said, and for the record, I will make one exception to my previous statements about lying. That lone exception being in the case of someone's life being in danger. For example, you are the victim of a home invasion robbery and your teenage child is asleep in his basement bedroom or mini apartment above the garage. When the invader asks if there is anyone else in the house.......the answer everytime without fail will be no. A lie? Yes! But a lie to save a life. In my world, that is the only time a lie is acceptable.

Now it's your turn to sound off by commenting or taking the poll below. How do you feel about lying? What are some of your experiences with liars?

Til next time.............
Other than the exception above, when is it acceptable to tell a lie?(closed poll)
never 5
to spare someones feelings 3
to cover previous misdeeds 0
to advance your career 0
to get a huge tax refund 1
about your age 1
Originally posted 9/18/06 on Yahoo 360

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to add the (( about my weight )) option on the poll. I in general always tend to speak truths. Unless I seriously think it is going to hurt someone. In those cases at all cost I tto stay away frm any topic that I know may lead to someone being hurt in the process of it. I think I have been a very open honest adult in my words.. as a teen of course there are/were some wild ones.. YIKES.. but we grow out of that. Excellent Blog...
Have a great one..
monk

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 05:07am (EDT)

Anonymous said...

I try to be honest with everyone and everything in my life including myself. But I do believe there is such a thing as being to honest ( brutally honest) and I try to avoid that at all costs so if means telling a small fib to make someone feel better about themselves I will do it :) I have a saying ( It's my lie I'll tell it like I want to ) ;) Just being silly when someone continues to question an answer I give them. This is a great blog!(P.s. I think everyone is guilty to some degree in lying and of course I think there are at times valid reason's for doing so.)Just my thought s :)

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 08:39am (EDT)

Anonymous said...

Hey Hun,

I started to a write a comment but it started to become too long, so it turned into my blog for the day!

The title is "Lying through their teeth?"

Have a great week doll!

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 09:16am (EDT)

Anonymous said...

Mark, funny and also thought provoking blog and to tell you the truth (kinda ironic to say that phrase right now! heehee), I was tempted on the poll to mark "to save someone's feelings" but then I thought..hmm..couldn't I save someone's feelings by just not saying anything at all? Maybe instead of fibbing, I could just smile? I dunno. Just a thought. Anyhow, I enjoyed reading this (REALLY!!) and have a great day! :)

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 12:01pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the people about lying to spare someone's feelings. Example: Not so long ago, someone asked her boyfriend what his friends had thought of her after they had met her at a company party she went to with him. She was told that one of his coworkers said she looked really old in person as opposed to the picture they had seen of her and that had told him that yeah, he thought so too (he met her from a personals ad). Now, at the age of 46, she is self conscious of herself and the fact that she is not aging well. So, this person comes to me...someone who loves her dearly and as she put it "wouldn't lie to her", and asks me if she looks old. My response: "Don't be silly. You look your age." Now, in reality, she looks about 56 instead of 46 but I refuse to add to the jab at her self esteem because really...what purpose does it serve? If this makes me a complete and utter liar, then so be it.

On the other side of that coin though, I have tons of friends who I will tell the truth about their behavior or choices and my opinion of it. As a result, they come to me when they want someone to tell them the truth. They usually go away all ticked off because I didn't take their side, but oddly enough...they always show up again when they want an unbiased opinion. Now, if they come along and ask me something that I deem truly hurtful to them and not in a way that's in their best interests...I'm lying. Sue me.

Having said all that, I am the lone voter who said I would lie to spare someone's feelings and I think all the people who voted for "never lying" are a bunch of liars. I want each and every one of them to go back and recount how many times they've told a fib to spare someone's feelings.

"No, that doesn't make you look fat." "No, the meatloaf is great. I'm just not that hungry."
"Honey, don't worry about what the other kids say. Your eyes don't look that bad crossed."

Come on people!

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 10:46am (PDT)

Anonymous said...

Ya got me, Amy. I lied on a blog about not lying. I am ashamed. Well, you're right about not adding to someone's self-consciousness..I'd definitely try my best to be gentle with someone who is fragile to begin with. I am not saying I've never lied. That would be a lie! :P But all I'm saying is maybe sometimes some things are better left unsaid! (therefore avoiding the kind fibbing altogether!) Anyhoo, I'm so busted. Thanks. I feel like poop. :{ heehee

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 03:16pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm in the minority on the lying to spare feelings. I just don't do it. I used to a long time ago and I paid a dear price for it. Now, my close circle of friends and family ask me questions because they want the truth and they know I'll tell them. I try to always be nice about it, but I am honest.

I also should clarify a statement I made earlier about liars being worthless as human beings. That characterization is one that I reserve for politicans, sleezy lawyers, used car salesmen, and other habitual liars.... not people trying to spare someones feelings.

Now if you'll indulge me for a moment....I just can't help but comment on the examples you give at the end....99.9 percent of the time people who ask that "fat" question are not really fat at all. It just shows that they are concerned about it. For the .1 percent, there are creative ways of telling the truth without being mean or hurtful. You just have to be a little more thoughtful before you open your mouth. Most of the people who are or look truly fat would be too embarrassed to ever dare ask that question to begin with.

Meatloaf......I have never had bad meatloaf. Just varying degrees of good. Remember, I'm the guy who went on weight watchers with my wife once and gained 12 pounds while she lost 10.

And finally, god forbid, if my child ever had to deal with crossed eyes.....he would be having that problem addressed in some manner long before it got to the point that he's being teased over it.

It's not difficult to be honest most of the time. Sometimes though you just have to choose your words a little more carefully. It's those few times when you choose the truth over a "little white lie" to escape an uncomfortable situation that causes your friends and family to respect you even more when all is said and done.

Tuesday September 19, 2006 - 01:33pm (PDT)

Anonymous said...

Amy - Way to harsh in judgement and you missed the meaning of the poll. Those people who said it was unacceptabe to lie did not say they never lied. The poll was to find out when we thought it was acceptable to lie. For me it is not accpetable except in some very life threatening examples. But, I do it, continuosuly in many ways. For very stupid reasons. Nobody is capable of being perfect in this. Most people lie to themselves, daily.

As far as the friend who looks 56 and is truly 46, is her entire self-worth based on her looks and what strangers think of her? Then she probably needs something else in her life that is more solid. And by you being the one person she came to for the truth, you lied to her about something as trivial as how she is aging? I'm astounded. She came to you for truth and you gave her false testimony. I know that sounds insensitive, but people who build thier houses on sand get rocked. I know my looks are fading almost exponentially now since the mid-30's, but my friends don't care and my family certainly doesn't.

I'm a little shocked that you, who don't cow to the "Glamor Mag" mentality that forces women to adhere to impossible standards, would lie to a friend who came to you for truth on her looks.

Wednesday September 20, 2006 - 02:58pm (EDT)

Anonymous said...

HOT Topic!! I agree about the credibility of that poll forsure!

Wonder if you are interested in checking out my last blog then? A 360 friend of mine is making an effort to spread the word that Oct 19, 2006 be declared "A day with no Lies".

Saturday September 23, 2006 - 11:32am (MDT)

Anonymous said...

I believe its not what you say but how you say it. There is not one human being on this earth that doesn't have something attractive about them. Even the cross eyed girl probably has a pretty color to her eyes. I believe you can say almost anything, its just how you say it. I have a very difficult time lying but have when it would have prevented someone from being really hurt. I also know that we are all unique and the most healthiest relationships are not looking at your face or body....

Saturday September 23, 2006 - 10:33pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

It is NEVER acceptable to lie .... but there is always an exemption to any rule, and not all rules are meant to be followed :)...but in life, I believe that honesty is always the best rule!

I think lying is an innate characteristic of human beings. Everyone, at some point in their lives or another, lies about anything and everything. It is their first line of defense against being judged poorly and used in many instances for survival, protection, gaining a foothold and acceptance ... not that I condone lying, this is just an observation and opinion. hugs,

Monday November 20, 2006 - 03:10am (CST)