As this mid term election season draws to a close with elections taking place on Tuesday, one thing that I have noticed is that you can't go to a political website without seeing something about something being proposed called a "Voters Bill Of Rights." I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this one. But if there were to be a Voters Bill of Rights created, one right that I certainly would love to see included would go something like this: The right not to be subjected to two, four, or eight years of the losers crying and whining like little girls because their candidates just couldn't cut the mustard. Unfortunately, the way this mid-term election is shaping up, I don't think we'll be seeing that one anytime soon.
But back to the subject at hand......the "Voters Bill of Rights" pictured above comes from a website called www.51capitalmarch.com . This website has some pretty interesting stuff on it that is worth the read if you have the time. Also, out here in California, we have a lady named Debra Bowen running for Secretary of State. She, like many others, has a proposed "Voters Bill of Rights" on her website and it looks something like this:
The ability to register to vote, to cast a ballot, and to have that ballot counted accurately is the very foundation of our democracy. To that end, every one of California's voters is entitled to the following rights:
1. The Right To Register To Vote.
2. The Right To Vote.
3. The Right to Vote In A Tamper-Proof Election.
4. The Right To Vote On Paper.
5. The Right To Have Each Vote Counted Accurately.
6. The Right To Have Election Results Properly Audited.
7. The Right To An Open, Transparent, Public Process.
8. The Right To Elections Officials Who Operate Free of Partisan Influence.
9. The Right To Know that Elected Officials Are Free From the Influence of Campaign Contributions From Voting Machine Vendors.
10. The Right To Find Out How Money Is Being Raised And Spent In The Political Process.
Now after having having read this and perusing her website for a bit, three thoughts immediately come to mind.
1. Her website contains endorsements from several liberal newspapers, a couple dozen prominent democrat/liberal politicans on both the state and national level, and three times as many liberal organizations across the state. So much for voters right # 8.
2. Going back to my earlier "crying and whining like a little girl" comment: Read comments 1 thru 6 again. Now don't these sound an awful lot like the moans of the Gore and Kerry supporters from the 2000 and 2004 presidental elections? That crying and whining just never ends does it?
and finally, 3. All this other stuff aside......on most every one of these voters rights pages that I've seen, I have yet to see one single right that isn't already guaranteed by some already granted right or law that is currently on the books. The key is getting our government officials (whether elected or appointed) to enforce the laws that are already on the books. Whether it's elections, immigration, or any other issue currently being debated.....it is imperative that we hold our elected officials accountable for enforcing laws that are on the books.
Bottom line......Mr Politican that wants my vote......stop wasting my time and tax dollars on things like Voters Bill of Rights or Immigration Reform. All I want you to do, be honest, don't steal, and enforce the all the laws that are on the books....not just the ones that suit you. If you want my vote....that's what you are going to have to do for me.
Til Next Time....................
originally posted 11/5/06 on Yahoo 360