Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Father's Day! June 17, 2007


Father's Day......It's one of those days where, in the role of a child, we always make a big deal trying figure out which of us brothers could give Dad the coolest gift. However, now that I am the father, I find myself realizing that the gifts aren't that big a deal. Imperfect as we may be and not always right (you never heard me say that! lol), at the end of the day, we are just doing what we do.....being dad.

For me this Father's Day was much like any other Sunday in the Chase household. I slept in late, watched part of the race from Michigan on TV, washed and waxed the car, and later on took Kat and Eston to see the latest Pirates Of The Carribean flick (which I enjoyed immensely), helped Kat put away the laundry, and then sat down to do some writing. Somewhere between washing the car and going to the movies, I did get a really cool and totally unexpected suprise though. This is where I will begin to sound like a bit of a hypocrite, but that's okay. Nobody's perfect.....right?

Ericka, my daughter in law, baked a Fathers Day cake for me. It had lemon icing on it and she did a great job. Thank You!!!! It was totally unexpected and very much appreciated. The only thing that would have made it better was if Nathan could've been here to enjoy with us. For those of you who don't know, Nathan is our oldest and is currently serving overseas in the Marines. As a father, I'm damned proud of him too.

Looking back on this Fathers Day, I can honestly say it was a pretty darned good one! I am indeed a lucky man to have the family I do. In the end, even though we may have a day on the calendar set aside for us, we fathers wouldn't be who we are today if it weren't for our families, those who came before us (Thanks Dad!) and those we have with us today! Thank you all!

Til Next Time.........

Originally posted 6-17-07 on Yahoo 360

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful father's day and I am sorry to hear that you did have a missing family member. I am praying for him and your family. Thank you for being a "Great Dad!" I as a mother appreciate fathers like you. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Monday June 18, 2007 - 11:04am (PDT)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful father's day and I am sorry to hear that you did have a missing family member. I am praying for him and your family. Thank you for being a "Great Dad!" I as a mother appreciate fathers like you. Hope you have a wonderful week!

Monday June 18, 2007 - 11:04am (PDT)

Anonymous said...

Glad you had yourself a great Fathers Day.Cake sounds yummy and looks good.Sorry your son is so far away from home at this time.Bless him and the others servicefolk who are proudly defending your country.God Speed his safe arrival home.Hugs:)

Wednesday June 20, 2007 - 09:46pm (EDT)