Friday, October 3, 2008

All For The Love Of Gaming, November 17, 2006


Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe it's that I'm partial to XBOX, or maybe I'm just too much of a cynic to get sucked into the hype. Whatever it is, I just don't get the insanity we've seen surrounding the release of Play Station 3. Fights, stabbings, people getting shot, stampedes, and people standing in long lines for days (sometimes in the rain)......all for a game.

Here in the Oroville/Chico area, there were aproximately 50 to 60 units available between two Walmarts and one Best Buy location. Not many considering that we have two colleges, five high schools, and an overall population well over 100, 000. All you had to do was turn on the television to see the insane behavior of the people trying to get one of those coveted gaming consoles.

For me personally, I'd rather stick with XBOX. I just like it and see no need to change. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to go out and buy all new games for a PS3 console. No thanks! I just wait for a awhile for more inventory and lower prices. Even then, there's no guarantee I'd get one.

As for Sony, well, I understand why they shipped so few units nationwide, but if they weren't prepared...they should have waited. I guess the "leave'em wanting more" view point won out. At some point though, the decision makers at Sony have to acknowledge the kaos their decision created and take steps to make sure it never happens again. That said though, this episode also showed us just how far some individuals will go to obtain material items that in the end really aren't that important. I'm not sure which is worse.

I love my video games as much as the next guy (or girl), but they don't rule my life. I didn't stand in long lines, I didn't stand in the rain, I didn't punch, stab, or shoot anybody, and I didn't disrespect my fellow human beings. I didn't do any of it....all for the love of gaming.

Til next time........

Did you or would you stand in line for a new game console in short supply?(closed poll)
Did! 0
Would! 0
Nope! 11
Originally posted 11-17-06 on Yahoo 360

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Mark. The last system I owned was N64- I have been wanting a PS2 forever- But no matter what you just cannot keep up! I like the PS3 and the Nintendo Wii- but I will not stand in line. I will wait until the reviews are out and consider possibly Next Year purchasing one. It is madness here in Michigan. There has already been a stabbing and a shooting over the darn thing!

Saturday November 18, 2006 - 03:29am (EST)

Anonymous said...

I actually have never wanted anything bad enough to do any waiting in line for it.. I have never done the crazed After Thanksgiving sales or the waiting for something like this to come out. Somewhere in my mind no object is worth going through that kind of craziness. Reminds me of back when all the mom's were beating each other over those insanely ugly cabbage patch dolls.. YIKES
Peace
Monk

Saturday November 18, 2006 - 05:05am (EST)

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the nationwide craze over Furby or Tickle Me Elmo. I am ashamed to admit it, but back in the Furby days I actually sent my then boyfriend to the local Montgomery Wards store, which had a special promotion at 5:30 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving, in order to get one. It was first come, first served. Well, since the store was an hour away, this meant he had to be ready to leave the house at 4:30 a.m.!! Not only that, the weather was not good (cold and icy). So stupid!! All because my young daughter JUST HAD to have a Furby from Santa and, of course, as her mother I wanted to deliver the goods. Well, long story short - when he got to the store, there was a line all the way around the building! He said women were pushing and shoving to stay in line and then fighting when one would request to buy more than one. After waiting in line outside in the cold for over two hours, he finally made it inside only to discover that the lady in front of him bought THE LAST ONE!! (True story.) My daughter did not get a Furby for Christmas that year. Sure, they were selling for well over $1,200 on eBay, but that was ridiculous! Six months later, you couldn't GIVE those things away - by July, Furby's were filling the sale bins at our local K-Mart, where you could buy one for $10. Lesson learned.

Saturday November 18, 2006 - 03:38am (PST)

Anonymous said...

See, its not the fact that Sony didnt make enough, beause I can guarantee that in their main warehouses they have millions more in stock...I know this because I toured one after the PS2 came out, because they can jack up the prices and make more of a supply and demand, which is all part of economic corporate corrupt america!!!!
Now, ive never been into the whole furby or tickle me elmo, probably because at the time i didnt have a kid, but i can say now even that i do have a kid, and there is no way that i would get any of that crap for her!!!
everyone is out to make a dollar these days and they will go by any means neccessary to do so!

Saturday November 18, 2006 - 08:10am (EST)

Anonymous said...

The other brand that is out is more for those who are not avid serious gamers. It's cheaper too. This one is pretty awesome but so exspensive, I can not justify buying it when more important things are needed around here. I would not stand in line forever and risk being hurt for one either....this is pure crazy!!!
peace n love
Debby

Saturday November 18, 2006 - 08:11pm (CST)

Anonymous said...

Here in Canada there was some hype but nothing along the lines of violence as in the States.I work in a Walmart and we only recieved 16 units.A group of teens lined up on Wed.nite and stayed in the rain till we opened at 6 on Fri.morn.Our security team gave them tickets so only the ones who came first we assured of getting a system with no fights.In downtown Toronto 2 guys bought one of each PS3 and then walked out into the parking lot and smashed the cheaper version just to watch peoples reactions.The other system they plan to sell for 2 grand to recoup the loss of the first one.In the papers and on Ebay the prices are insane.And I think anyone who pays that much for a gaming system is insane as well.Thaat's just my opinion,but they could have donated it to the Childrens Hospital if they had big hearts.How many kids are there stuck in hospitals and homes with no fun at this time of year.Great blog you posted here.

Sunday November 19, 2006 - 01:22pm (EST