Friday, October 3, 2008

All For The Love Of Gaming, November 17, 2006


Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe it's that I'm partial to XBOX, or maybe I'm just too much of a cynic to get sucked into the hype. Whatever it is, I just don't get the insanity we've seen surrounding the release of Play Station 3. Fights, stabbings, people getting shot, stampedes, and people standing in long lines for days (sometimes in the rain)......all for a game.

Here in the Oroville/Chico area, there were aproximately 50 to 60 units available between two Walmarts and one Best Buy location. Not many considering that we have two colleges, five high schools, and an overall population well over 100, 000. All you had to do was turn on the television to see the insane behavior of the people trying to get one of those coveted gaming consoles.

For me personally, I'd rather stick with XBOX. I just like it and see no need to change. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to go out and buy all new games for a PS3 console. No thanks! I just wait for a awhile for more inventory and lower prices. Even then, there's no guarantee I'd get one.

As for Sony, well, I understand why they shipped so few units nationwide, but if they weren't prepared...they should have waited. I guess the "leave'em wanting more" view point won out. At some point though, the decision makers at Sony have to acknowledge the kaos their decision created and take steps to make sure it never happens again. That said though, this episode also showed us just how far some individuals will go to obtain material items that in the end really aren't that important. I'm not sure which is worse.

I love my video games as much as the next guy (or girl), but they don't rule my life. I didn't stand in long lines, I didn't stand in the rain, I didn't punch, stab, or shoot anybody, and I didn't disrespect my fellow human beings. I didn't do any of it....all for the love of gaming.

Til next time........

Did you or would you stand in line for a new game console in short supply?(closed poll)
Did! 0
Would! 0
Nope! 11
Originally posted 11-17-06 on Yahoo 360
Post a Comment