Friday, October 3, 2008

Playing Hooky, November 29, 2006


Today, I decided I wasn't going to work. Some would call it playing hooky, but in reality, I'm just burning off the last of my excess vacation days before the new owners take over. Either way, the end result is the same.....a nice, quiet, relaxing day. Just the same as if I were playing hooky.

And speaking of playing hooky, I came across an article written by the folks at careerbuilder.com. The article said that 32 percent of workers have used bogus excuses in the last year. Senior career adviser Jennifer Sullivan said many people are using sick days as "mental health days" to catch up on sleep or simply relax.

One in 10 admitted to doing so three times or more in the last year. Not only are workers using bogus reasons for missing work, but the excuses are getting more creative as well. For those of you who actually told the teacher that your dog ate your homework, you can rest easy in knowing that there are a variety of "grownup versions" of that all time favorite excuse. Below is a list of some of the most unusal excuses given to supervisors by employees playing hooky......

1. Employee was poisoned by his mother-in-law.
2. A buffalo escaped from the game reserve and kept charging the employee every time she tried to go to her car from her house.
3. Employee was feeling all the symptoms of his expecting wife.
4. Employee called from his cell phone, said he was accidentally locked in a restroom stall and no one was around to let him out.
5. Employee broke his leg snowboarding off his roof while drunk.
6. Employee's wife said he couldn't come into work because he had a lot of chores to do around the house.
7. One of the walls in the employee's home fell off the night before.
8. Employee's mother was in jail.
9. A skunk got into the employee's house and sprayed all of his uniforms.
10. Employee had bad hiccups.
11. Employee blew his nose so hard, his back went out.
12. Employee's horses got loose and were running down the highway.
13. Employee was hit by a bus while walking.
14. Employee's dog swallowed her bus pass.
15. Employee was sad.

Hmmm.......wonder if any of these will work tomorrow when the new owners take over.

Til next time...............

Originally posted 11-29-06 on Yahoo 360

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, good for you! Wish I had more vacation days... hmmm. But hey, glad you had a wonderful time....Good ones, by the way..yeah, the dog ate my homework too haha :)

Wednesday November 29, 2006 - 07:30pm (CST)

Anonymous said...

Great excuses...I think I'll try one. I could use a mental health day.

Wednesday November 29, 2006 - 08:38pm (EST)

Anonymous said...

I wish I had that luxury of playing hookey. I haven't missed a day of work in over a yr now. UPS can't live without me. LOL!

Thursday November 30, 2006 - 01:56am (EST)

Anonymous said...

*laughs* I can totally relate!! I am SO gonna jot these excuses down. ~hehehe~

Wednesday November 29, 2006 - 11:37pm (PST)

Anonymous said...

Luv those excuses. I might have to use one of them on there. hmmm.... How about 17 yr. old son drove mom insane and had her sent to a 'crazy house"

Thursday November 30, 2006 - 06:12am (PST)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark... #5 has to be real(hope someone took pics). I need to use some leave before the end of the year.. Will take a few lazy days next month.
Hugs
Donna

Thursday November 30, 2006 - 11:49am (CST)

Anonymous said...

lol, I wonder if the poor guy on the cell phone ever got out of the stall...hahaha

Saturday December 2, 2006 - 04:38pm (EST)

Chases Sandbox said...

ROTFL!!!!!!!!1 That is funny! I bet it is higher than what they said (32%)....

Sunday December 3, 2006 - 02:22pm (CST)

Anonymous said...

laffin...hope u are well...happy holidays to all..janie

Sunday December 3, 2006 - 08:30pm (BRST)

Anonymous said...

ROFL...that is hilarious. I wonder if I could get away with a kangaroo jumped on my laptop?!Nah, don't think it would work, aye?!LOL! Funny man Sparky.

Monday December 4, 2006 - 10:58pm (CST)

Anonymous said...

We all need a mental health day from time to time...Hope yours was enjoyable.....
peace n love
debby

Friday December 8, 2006 - 10:23pm (CST)

Anonymous said...

thats funny, enjoy your days off, before the new boss has you hooked

Monday December 11, 2006 - 01:20pm (GMT)

Anonymous said...

i see u are still off playing hooky...laffin..merry christmas mark and to ur family as well...jane

Monday December 18, 2006 - 06:34am (BRST)

Anonymous said...

I played hookey on Thursday so I could get some Christmas shopping done. It was fun. But I thought things would be quiet during the day...boy was I wrong!

Tuesday December 19, 2006 - 09:29pm (EST)