Sunday, August 10, 2008

Is It Ever Ok To Lie?, September 18, 2006

IN PAST WRITINGS, I HAVE MADE IT perfectly clear where I stand on the topic of lying. If your words hold no truth or honor, then you're worthless as a human being. A bit harsh? Yes. But then again, I put a lot of stock in honesty. As I often tell friends and relatives, there are two things in this world that I can't stand and won't tolerate......liars and thieves.

Then along come the results of a poll on lying in America recently conducted by the Associated Press. This poll is a really interesting snapshot into how far off the wagon America has fallen when it comes to being honest. On the very first question of the poll, 50 percent of the respondents said that under no circumstances would it ever be ok to tell a lie. A few questions later 2/3 of the respondents said that it was ok to lie in order to spare someone's feelings. Whoa!!! Now hold on just a second. I know I'm not a rocket scientist, but let do the math on this one. 50 percent said it is never acceptable to lie, then later, approximately 66.6 percent said it is okay to lie to spare someone's feelings.

Now as I said, I realize I'm not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon, but my math says that, at a minimum, approximately 16.6 percent of the respondents lied about their attitudes on lying. At this point , I had to stop reading the article about the poll. The AP went out, got a bunch of liars to take a poll on lying who turned around got themselves caught lying on the poll about lying. LOL I see a SERIOUS credibility problem here. I'm still trying to figure out who is sadder...the AP or the liars.

But seriously though, it did get me to thinking about how much society has changed over just the last couple of generations. There are some things that are tolerated and accepted today that would have never been considered socially acceptable in decades past. Lying is one of those things. Then again, what do you expect when you have a sitting president of the United States who gets caught lying, is impeached by Congress, suffers no reprecussions, and watches his popularity soar. I'll bet Gary Hart is really kicking himself now.

Now with all that said, and for the record, I will make one exception to my previous statements about lying. That lone exception being in the case of someone's life being in danger. For example, you are the victim of a home invasion robbery and your teenage child is asleep in his basement bedroom or mini apartment above the garage. When the invader asks if there is anyone else in the house.......the answer everytime without fail will be no. A lie? Yes! But a lie to save a life. In my world, that is the only time a lie is acceptable.

Now it's your turn to sound off by commenting or taking the poll below. How do you feel about lying? What are some of your experiences with liars?

Til next time.............
Other than the exception above, when is it acceptable to tell a lie?(closed poll)
never 5
to spare someones feelings 3
to cover previous misdeeds 0
to advance your career 0
to get a huge tax refund 1
about your age 1
Originally posted 9/18/06 on Yahoo 360
Post a Comment