Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saying Goodbye to An Old Friend, October 08, 2006


SINCE THE DAYS OF THOMAS PAINE'S famous address of 1791, our old friend known as "Common Sense" has been under almost constant attack. In the beginning those perpetrating said attacks were almost universally considered as "the lunatic fringe." These elements were, for years, easy to pick out in a crowd for their unwillingness to conform to the accepted standards of society at any given time. Today though, those lines of distinction are becoming more and more blurred. This past week gave us two excellent examples of this.

The first example was the page situation in Washington. Seemingly smart politicians are taking an incident that rises way above party lines and politics and trying to turn it into a political issue. Any politician who would take potential abuse of an underage house page and use that potential abuse to further her political career (yes I'm talking about Nancy Pelosi) is an abomination and there is no punishment severe enough for that lack of common sense.

Secondly we saw the senseless slaughter of Ammish children in a Pennsylvania schoolhouse by a seemingly normal run of the mill guy who seemed to think it was ok to kill children as a means of solving his own personal issues that he had been hiding for years. Then on top of that, the daughter and wife of the "so-called Reverend" Fred Phelps (military funeral protesters) came on a national radio program and called those dead little girls, whorish souls that are burning in hell. A lack of common sense is just the tip of the iceberg here. There's so much going on with this one, I don't even where to start. Maybe I'll save it for a later blog.

In the meantime, with everything going on in the world and here in the United States....I thought it might be a good time to pull this one out of my "stack of stuff." Most of you may have seen this, or some version of it before. After recent events though, it seemed appropriate to dust it off and toss it out there for everyone once again!

EULOGY FOR OUR OLD FRIEND COMMON SENSE

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, and factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second. A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new math."

But sadly, his health declined when he became infected with the "if-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus.

In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well-intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports. Finally, when a woman too stupid to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

His funeral was poorly attended because so few realized he was gone...

Originally posted 10/8/06 on Yahoo 360

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, this is poignantly true. In many instances, both in public and political life...we as a nation, seem to be slipping, with increasing speed..into a place we all need to fear. No one seems to be willing or able to work together and to care enough to stop the slide and start to reverse it.

I blogged this week about the senseless loss of life in our schools that is escalating alarmingly. When we no longer have things that we hold sacred, such as the lives of children...we as a nation are in trouble. We all better realize what is happening, and soon...before it's too late to salvage what is left of our sense of community and humanity.

We can't always depend on others to speak up for our beliefs. We can't stay silent and expect someone else to be the one that fixes the mess we're sinking into.

Sunday October 8, 2006 - 09:23pm (EDT)

Anonymous said...

Great blog! And I actually had never heard the common sense eulogy before..that was good. You know why those freaks got an hour on the radio? Because they were planning on picketing those poor kids' funeral but the locals talked them into going on the radio instead,which, apparently, was pretty disgusting also. They demanded an hour of hate spewing venom in exchange for letting those little girls be buried in peace. They sure know how to represent the love of God, don't they? And you are right on with the Foley thing.Let me make this clear! PERVS ARE EVIL and I DO NOT condone his actions one bit. He's a perv, no doubt, but it's really sad how it is being held up and bellowed about by certain politicians as part of their campaign strategy. If they actually gave a care about it, why'd they sit on it while these pages were being harrassed till oooops...just before elections and when they were struggling in the polls? I hope it bites them in the butt. I hope Foley pays for any crimes he has committed just like anyone else would have to. But I also hope the Dems who use this as a means to point fingers and play holier-than-thou than the Repubs, gets a swift kick in their political butts come election day. Sorry. I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Sunday October 8, 2006 - 09:48pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed they got an hour of free radio time on the day of those funerals. It was the most vile thing I've ever heard. But it was the host of the radio show that actually got them not to picket by offering to give them that hour during a phone interview with Phelps' daughter the day before. I heard both days broadcasts and they will be the topic of tomorrow's blog......stay tuned if you can stomach it.

Sunday October 8, 2006 - 09:22pm (PDT)

Anonymous said...

okay..yeah I couldn't remember who offered them that deal..but I can only imagine how disgusting it was. Those people are a just a hideous disgrace. I'll be watching for your blog!

Monday October 9, 2006 - 01:14am (CDT)

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I live twelve miles from Thetford in Norfolk, where there is a great link to Thomas Paine and indeed a large gold statue of him and there used to be a pub called the Rights of Man there too

Monday October 9, 2006 - 04:24pm (BST)

Anonymous said...

Another great blog Mark! I can count on you for a piece that is thoughtful and well written.

Common sense died long before the time frame you selected. I think it croaked during the administration of Mr. Peanut. Our CIA problems belong to Jimmie Carter, as do our current problems with Iran.

As for the Phelps thing, yes I can only imagine that their vitriol was terrible on Mike Gallagher's radio show, but if he had not offered them that as a trade, they would have been camped out at the Amish funerals. The offer was a good one in my book and hat's off to Mike!

Re: Phelps! He and his band of followers (mostly his kin folk) cannot be finding favor in God's eyes. Anyone spreading that kind of invective and hatred gives all Christians a bad name, and I hardly believe that God feels the same way Fred Phelps et al does.

I wouldn't want to wish him any bad luck, but Fred's legs should grow together!

Monday October 9, 2006 - 03:15pm (EDT)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
I see so much in the papers and you know it would be nice to see something positive about our troops because, just as Jesus ... American s have soo much to be greatful for.Way back we were given 10 simple rules called the ten commandments and then later in life different laws were made but the more we keep adding more laws it seems the more our country has more crimes ... Kirk]: For those of you that think gospel music has gone to far.
You think we got to radical for Christ.
Well I got news for you, you ain't heard nothin yet,
and if you don't know now you know. Glory, Glory!!

[Part1:] Lately I've been going through some things that really got me down.
I need someone somebody to help me come and turn my life around.
I can't explain, I can't obtain it. Jesus your love is so, it's so amazing.
It gets me high up to the sky, and when I think about your goodness it makes me wanna stomp.
Makes me clap my hands. Makes me wanna dance and stomp.
My brother can't you see I got the victory. STOMP!!!

[repeat part 1 ]Lately I've been going through some things that really got me down.
I need someone somebody to help me come and turn my life around.
I can't explain, I can't obtain it. Jesus your love is so, it's so amazing.
It gets me high up to the sky, and when I think about your goodness it makes me wanna stomp.
Makes me clap my hands. Makes me wanna dance and stomp.
My brother can't you see I got the victory. STOMP!!!



[Salt [rap]]: When I think about the goodness and fullness of God,
makes me thankful pity the hateful ,I'm grateful.
The Lord brought me through this far,
trying to be cute when I praise him raise him high.
I keep the live beat bumping. Keep it jumping make the Lord feel something.
Ain't no shame in my game God's Property. Kickin' it wit Kirk ain't no stoppin' me.
UH stomp

[Kirk:] GP are you wit me?
[GP:] oh yeah we having church we ain't going nowhere.
[repeat 3 times ]

[pt2:] stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp

I promise the stomp, the whole stomp, nothin but the stomp

[Kirk:] It ain't over. It ain't over

[repeat part 2 until fades.]

Monday October 9, 2006 - 06:05pm (EDT)