Monday, August 18, 2008

My Biggest Pet Peeve! , October 11, 2006


PLEASE INDULGE ME FOR A MOMENT.......If you are a used car salesman and you own or work for a lot whose name starts with the word "HONEST" don't even attempt to speak to me. Anytime Bill, Joe, or John feels the need to use the word Honest as part of the name of their business, it is usually means that there is also an underlying need to convince you of their honesty. Most of the time they are anything but honest and the red flags should go up immediately. In my line of work, I've had to deal with these type of people from time to time. Ninety percent of the time, these guys are about as honest as defense lawyers and politicans. Bottom line....If Honest Bill tries to sell you a used car, please... for the love of god and all that is right in this world, run the other way as fast as you can! If you don't, chances are you WILL get ripped off and Honest Bill fire up a stogie as he takes your money and waddles off to the bank or the nearest bar to celebrate another duped consumer.

Ditto for anyone who ends a sentence with the phrase "Honest Injun." It was cute when Tom Sawyer said it and remotely funny when you hear it on Ren & Stimpy reruns, but that's as far as it goes. Today, if anybody uses that phrase in a conversation with you.....it usually means they are blowing smoke up your backside. BE CAREFUL!

Now some of you may be saying, "Good Grief! Where in the world did this rant come from?" Well here in Northern California, there is a television commercial (not one I had anything to do with, thank god!) running for a real estate company that used a female pastor to hawk their services. I'm not sure if it was a paid endorsement or if she was doing a testimonial for the company. Not that it really matters, but the commercial was kinda vauge in that regard. The part that really got me wound up came at the end of the commercial when she said proudly proclaimed...."I'm a pastor and I don't lie!" I just about came unglued!

To me, a pastor hawking services for an industry that has had more than it's fair share of ugly stories is something that should raise eyebrows, especially for those who attend this pastor's church. But more importantly, a real estate agency that resorts to promoting themselves by using a religious person who is overtly flaunting her posistion in an attempt to convince the public of the agency's honesty is just plain working too hard to convince everyone of their honesty and should be looked at with a critical eye.

Like I said earlier, anytime a business has to try that hard to convince you of their honesty, more times than not, there is a reason for it. Be careful! In the case of the pastor using her posistion as a religious leader to sway potential future real estate deals.....well, lets just say, if I were a member of her congregation, her credibility would be taking a huge hit with me.

Maybe that's just the cynic in me coming out. Or maybe it's a result of my years in the advertising and marketing industry and my experience with the b.s. that goes on from time to time. Either way, it's one of my biggest pet peeves that absolutely drives me up a wall.

Now Mark shall climb down off his soapbox and wish you all good night.

Til Next Time..........

How would you approach a business that tries too hard to convince you of their honesty? (closed poll)
No Worries! Shop On!!! 0
Avoid Them Like the Plague!!! 9
Approach with Caution!!! 4

originally posted 10/11/06 on Yahoo 360

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

would avoid both the car dealership that sports this and would also avoid the church of this pastor who is using their position that should be one of humility to brag of their title.... shakes head and sighs....... move over...not enough room on this here soap box for the both of us. !!! as always - love the blog

Thursday October 12, 2006 - 02:28am (CDT)

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the Pastor thing.It also ticks me off that because of being a Pastor that means MORE Blind faith is HOPED for by these people. They assume the public at large is so incredibly STUPID that because they have a Pastor.. THEY are honest.. Using a person of God's plan to dupe others?? MMMMM as for the I don't Lie.. Anyone who says that will lie the minute they get a chance and think they can get away with it. From early Girlhood..lol My Dad taught us to never trust anyone who starts of a sentence with ((Trust Me)).. same goes with your topic, Sell me a product and it's real worth.. Don't try to sell me your honesty. Excellent Blog..
Have a great one
Peace, Monk

Thursday October 12, 2006 - 04:29am (EDT)

Anonymous said...

How did you manage to write so calmly?

My rant would have been more ranty! LOL

Actually, I tend to disregard any commercial with a testimonial contained in the copy. Just tell me about the product and if possible do a demo.

Hugz

Thursday October 12, 2006 - 06:22am (EDT)

Anonymous said...

I think its pretty bad and I am surprised that this so called "Pastor" has been allowed to do this.
When I needed to buy a car ..I would "drive thru" their lots,I hated parking to walk around and see nothing and then have to do the "No thank you dance " for 30 minutes with the salsman..really you see they want you to park and walk around..so they can get cha..LOL I would literally drive up on the lot ( you see there is PLENTY of room as they have to move the cars around,right? ) and drive up and down the aisle's looking..you should of SEEN the looks of disbelief I got....most times I didnt see anything so I would drive off. Funny thing is I did this for about 4 months ...hit the same places sometimes.The only salesman who had the nerve to approach me was this one guy who walked up to the exit where I had to drive out and stop me ,I rolled down my window to tell him I didnt see anything when he said much to my surprise "Do you want Fries with that"?? LMAO!! I ended up buying a NEW Seabring convertible from a family friend who owns a large Chrysler Lot for a unbelievable discount and I love it!

Thursday October 12, 2006 - 08:48am (PDT)

Anonymous said...

OK, I have to start by saying that my dad owns a car dealership, and he sells used cars. I can understand the stigma that a lot of people place on car salesmen b/c there are some less than trust worthy dealers out there and one bad apple spoils the bunch. But, for 30 years my dad has been pretty honest about the cars he sells. He will not allow someone to purchase a car they can't afford, it is a pain in the ass to repo cars. If there are problems with a used car, my brother runs the mechanic's bay all cars are fixed and running before sale. He will not sell a car that isn't going to run or will break down soon after purchase. BUT, not all car dealers are like him. My dad has a conscience. I know that sales techniques are psychological warfare. ABC : Always Be Closing. You have to make the person feel as if that car is going to make them a better person, father, mother. Selling is simply making the person feel you are there for them and understand their situation completely. And that you are going to take care of them. I purchased my vehicle a few years ago. My dad doesn't sell Jeeps :( or I would have bought from him. The poor little sales guy didn't know I am a car man's daughter. He tried all of his techniques to put me in a vehicle that I didn't need nor really want. He tried his best to get me to state my buying price. I finally found what I wanted below the price I wanted to pay. I took me months and several sales people to finally find what I wanted.
There are ways to get around "Honest Bill, Joe, or John's" tricks. Learn the game before you play. Make up your mind before setting foot on a lot. Do research from the manufacture's website, check bluebook or if you can blackbook. Blackbook is the WHOLESALERS guide. This is the price the USED CAR DEALER PAY. And most of all, don't let anyone play on your emotions. These guys are NOT your bestfriends, they want your money. Check ALL the rebates you qualify for and check the news papers. Sometimes things are printed that are not the dealers intentions. My father-in-law got his car 0% financing for 5 years AND all the rebates. It was a misprint, but the dealership had to honor it.
SO in closing NOT all car dealers are crooks. A LOT ARE, but not all. And if a PREACHER has to remind you the are "honest" they are lieing. We had an honest preacher that robbed our parish blind.

Thursday October 12, 2006 - 01:16pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

A very well written blog here Mark. Personally I would avoid them like the plague.Often there are stories in the paper about business's that don't uphold their end of the deal. I have heard more about unscrupulous moving companies and those cheque cashing services so needless to say I won't be using them any time soon.Have a great night.Hugsss

Thursday October 12, 2006 - 10:46pm (EDT)

Anonymous said...

I have a similar pet peeve. It's with a law firm here in the valley. Phillips and Associates. They stress heavily they are expert and aggressive attorneys getting drunks out of DUI's, jerks off of aggravated assault or whatever crooks seem to be doing the most of. I absolutely HATE the commercials but they are effective, I certainly do remember the law firm and probably most of the commercials. LOL
Good post.
AND, if that female you mentioned is a pastor, she is apparently reading a different bible because the role of pastor is clearly outlined as being the husband of one wife and some other very gender specific details. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of grief for that remark.. :)

Friday October 13, 2006 - 12:35am (EDT)