Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It's Your Ship & BTW, Book Tag You're It! October 15, 2006


As many of you have heard me say it the past, I'm really not into this "internet tag" phenonenom that seems to be impossible to avoid. As a general rule I don't participate, but this week I received a tag that was a bit different and could be cool for all involved if you choose your "victims" properly. LOL That said.....here we go.

I've been Book Tagged by Ditsy Daisy. So here goes...

The "rules"

1. Grab the nearest book. If you are currently reading something, that'll be fine too.

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence.

4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your Blog along with these instructions.

5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet I know that is what you were thinking!

6. Tag 5 people

"It's Your Ship" by Capt. D. Michael Abrashoff, USN

Actually I didn't consider it rivalry; I didn't have any rivals. I was in competition only with myself, to have the best ship we possibly could. Inevitably, however, other commanders chaffed when the Benfold kept topping them, and whether I wanted it or not, rivalries emerged. To be honest, I enjoyed winning and I wasn't sensitive enough to avoid gloating, but I will return to discuss that further.

I am tagging David, Missy, Jenny, Rich, and Perry

If any of you guys are interested in the book, here's a little more coherent description...

Against the backdrop of today's U.S. Navy, Captain Abrashoff took over command of the USS Benfold, a key player in our Navy's Persian Gulf/Middle East operations. It was a ship armed with every cutting edge system available, but only some of the productivity. Capt Abrashoff realized that responsibility for improving performance rested with him. But first, he had to improve his own leadership skills. Within mere months he created a crew of confident and inspired problem solvers that were eager to take the initiative AND responsibility for their actions. From achieving amazing budgetary cost savings to holding SAT Exams 40 miles off the Iraqi coast to winning the highest gunnery scores in the Pacific Fleet, Capt Abrashoff's extrodinary tenure as CO of the Benfold not only sent shockwaves throughout the Navy, but also changed the business practices of many Fortune 500 companies. If you're a business owner, in management, or contemplating starting a business, this is a book that is not only entertaining, but very educational and well worth reading.

And with that.........I have a football game to go watch. You guys have a great weekend and we'll visit again soon!

TIL NEXT TIME.........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For once, I'm glad I got "TAGGED".... LOL
I'll be working on my project.

Sunday October 15, 2006 - 05:49pm (EDT)

Anonymous said...

I didn't get tagged but this is cool so I'm stealing it. THANKS!

Sunday October 15, 2006 - 02:59pm (PDT)

Anonymous said...

I was tagged and the book I was reading "Objection" by Nancy Grace...good book!!! Your sounds interesting as well.
peace n love
Debby

Sunday October 15, 2006 - 08:48pm (CDT)