Monday, June 23, 2008

Are Unions Really Good For America? July 26, 2006


Unions Good For America? I don’t think so!!! I learned that lesson early on in life. I learned what unions and “some” union members are all about during my senior year of high school. As a 17-18 year old high school senior, I worked at a unionized Kroger Supermarket as a “courtesy clerk.” Before beginning work I told them that I was only there through the summer to earn money for school in the fall and they were fine with that. There was also talk of a potential strike during the summer. I told them that because of my situation that I would not honor a picket line should the strike occur. I was there for the money I could earn over a short period of time and had no intention of making retail a career. Oddly enough, they “said” they were ok with that too, but I still had to become a union member. I took them at their word and boy was that a mistake! When the strike came, I crossed, I received threats, and I witnessed so called upstanding unionized Kroger employees threaten and intimidate customers and others who dared to cross them and their picket line. Real upstanding people let me tell you! Needless to say, these people (some which I had known since childhood) are no longer in my address book. Later I would learn that this is typical behavior from union members who try to bully their way through life. It didn’t always used to be that way though. In fact, in their early years, unions proved to be very worthy of the common mans support. Somewhere along the way though, something caused the union focus to change. Today, they still claim to be working on behalf of working families but in fact, the truth is that they are working against the values and welfare of working families.

Why am I bringing this up with all the other stuff going on in the world today? Well, I just learned that the union representing supermarket workers (including Safeway employees) in Northern California told those employees that they would face termination if they are caught shopping at non union facilities. This is just one more example of union’s total disregard for their membership, which they stopped truly serving several decades ago. It’s not just the food workers unions either. Take a look at the airline industry. Take a look at Ford and General Motors. Both the airline and automotive industries are full of stories of unreasonable demands that, in the worst cases, have driven many companies to the brink of bankruptcy. In others, those demands not only cost companies unnecessary expenditures, but also raises prices for consumers as much as 100 percent in some instances. Yes unions are bad for business and consumers. But they are bad for the employees too. They lie consistently to their memberships about a variety of issues. They make it impossible to work for some companies in certain industries unless you succumb to their extortion. They steal money from their membership under the guise of “union dues” and then use that money to forward political agendas that the majority of the membership would never support in this lifetime or any other lifetime. Anyone who dares to stand up to the unions is systematically slandered and defamed unmercifully. The old saying that “If you tell a lie often enough and loud enough, eventually it becomes the truth,” really is true. Just ask California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Last fall he tried to take them on in a special election, hoping to change some of their more unscrupulous practices. He failed though after the unions ran a multi-million dollar campaign against him based on fear, lies, and slander. And now the unions are intruding into the personal lives of their membership by threatening them with termination if they are caught shopping at non-union stores. Now, I don’t know about you, but where I come from that’s called extortion. And the last time I checked, extortion was illegal.

In closing, I’m not saying you shouldn’t shop at a unionized store. That is a matter of personal choice that is nobody’s business but yours. But it is important to know precisely what type of organization you are supporting if you choose to do so. While it is true that some union organizations do have some beneficial aspects to them, the negative, intrusive, deceitful aspects far outweigh the positive when looked at with an objective eye. In the end it’s all about choice for the both consumers AND the employees. Any organization deceives its membership & the public and takes choice away from it constituency, whether it be big business, the government, or a union, is an organization that is not to be trusted and one that should be held accountable by all.

Are you......(closed poll)
pro union? 3
anti union? 5
indifferent? 0
(Originally posted 7-26-06 on Yahoo 360)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TRY TO STAY OUT OF HEATED ISSUES LIKE THIS LOL..I WILL ANWSER YOUR QUESTION..ARE UNIONS GOOD FOR AMERICA...HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!I DON'T REALLY WANT TO GET INTO TO IT..BUT I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOVE.HAVE A GOOD ONE..BARBIE

Wednesday July 26, 2006 - 10:43pm (PDT)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

Yahoo 360 has a 4000-character limit on the size of a comment, which only means that there is simply not enough space to tell you all the things I feel toward unions.

I did not respond to your poll, simply because the choices did not fit how I truly feel.

It isn't about being pro or anti union. You see the question more aptly phrased should be - would you like to see unions abolished, answer yes or no. To me just being anti-union does not go far enough. I can be anti-union and still accept the fact that they exist. No, that is unacceptable to me.

I believe that there is one union that is damaging our country the most and it is the NEA, the National Education Association, aka the teachers' union. The problem is that they endorse and defend the tenure process and that allows incompetents to be teaching our children.

There was a time back in the day when unions were necessary. That was in the heyday of the sweatshop and those conditions no longer exist.

Flush them all is my choice!

Thursday July 27, 2006 - 06:42am (EDT)

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad I live in Texas, a right-to-work state. Another reason for us to secede.

Thursday July 27, 2006 - 07:33am (CDT)

Anonymous said...

There are good and bad points to both... but as long as the days of slave labor are gone there is little need for unions... they have become the demon. If left to their own devices... wages, benefits, and even prices of goods will find a sustainable level. Problems only surface when free enteriprise is forced into a mold.

Thursday July 27, 2006 - 08:47am (CDT)

Anonymous said...

Guess I'd have to say I'm indifferent when it comes to unions. They can help, but, at the same time, they can hurt. I remember when I was growing up....my dad belonged to a plumbers union..he was on strike more than what he was working. Sort of gave me the impression of what unions were like.
Anyways...have a great weekend Mark! :)

Thursday July 27, 2006 - 01:23pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark- Well my husband and his family grew up union, and they would never cross a pickett line. But me on the other hand... I know about the unions. I once worked as a systems administrator for a meijers store and had to pay those dues. When it came time when I needed them to back me for wrongful write ups and such forth- they were never there. It's is so crappy how the union works now. It's not like it used to be. I would say I am anti-union, unless some company proves me otherwise. Great topic~

Thursday July 27, 2006 - 09:19pm (EDT)