Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Personal Posessions, March 01, 2006

My Favorite Personal Posession (that came from a non-family member)

As we go through life we all collect stuff. Some of it is meaningless junk and we keep it because we're packrats, or because we think it might be worth something someday. Other things we keep because they represent good times that we want to remember or maybe it as simple as....we just plain like it and don't want to get rid of it. My friend above falls into the latter category.

For those of you who might not remember, his name is ALF. He was the star of a huge sitcom back in the 80's. This fellow in the picture was a gift from some dear friends from Pittsburgh in the mid 80's and he's been with me everywhere I've gone ever since. From Portugal, airport terminals in Spain, Italy, and Baharain to Diego Garcia, Japan, the U.A.E, at sea in the Persian Gulf and of course all over the United States.......he's been with me every step of the way. Now he's with me in Northern California and after all these years he still raises eyebrows whenever someone catches a glimpse of him. He's just one of those things in my menagerie that will be around forever and then some.

And that brings me to my question for the night. What is your favorite posession that was given to you by someone other than a family member? I'm sure we'll get some pretty cool answers. I can't wait to read them.

(originally posted 3-1-06 on Yahoo 360)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! He's one of my favorites during my teen years... I used to watch his episodes on TV. I love him, he's very cute and funny...

My possession? Series of slumbooks and letters...

Wednesday March 1, 2006 - 10:07pm (PST)

Anonymous said...

I love HIM!! I think I still have one!!!! smushed and in a box, but still . . .

Thursday March 2, 2006 - 05:52am (PST)

Anonymous said...

Alf! HAHAHA Wow! Blast from the past! As for my favorite thing...I'd have to say the flowers I received a few months from someone that was deployed to Iraq. Course, the flowers are no more, but I have pictures of them... :)

Thursday March 2, 2006 - 09:13am (EST)

Anonymous said...

ALF ROCKS! i found an old sleeping back of him at a yardsale a couple of summers ago and bought it quick! lol "HA! I kill me!"

old mementos, pictures, notes, etc, are my favorite non relative possessions :) you never know when these people will pass away, or that you will lose contact...

Thursday March 2, 2006 - 09:56am (EST)

Anonymous said...

I have a silver bracelet given to me by an old high school flame. Actually, I have several bracelets (remember when ID bracelets were really hot??) I got 'em lined up like trophies in my jewelry boxes.. hehehe

But this person was a native of Karachi, Pakistan and the bracelet was a gift from his grandmother he was supposed to pass on to his bride, as well as a nose ring (I wasn't keen on piercing my nose so I don't remember what exactly I did with that). We didn't marry but we were pretty serious until he joined the Navy! My dad (a retired Master Chief) said there was no way in hell I'd be marrying a sailor..

I also have a letter from Journey (the band) when I was the one of the very important leaders in the Chicago chapter of their fan club back in the 80's!

Thursday March 2, 2006 - 04:28pm (EST)

Anonymous said...

I have a keychain with a script E. I have used this keychain since I was 15. I just cant bring myself to change my keychain. I have no idea who gave it to me. But that thing has a hold on me. And by the way Alf Rocks!

Thursday March 2, 2006 - 07:51pm (EST)

Anonymous said...

I have a very special friend who I chat with online but have never met. She sent me a magnet in the mail.I keep it on the frig. as a constant reminder of our friendship.

Friday March 3, 2006 - 02:33pm (EST)

Anonymous said...

I have a good friend that had a 5" Alf that rides on the back of his motorcyclce everywhere he goes. Unfortunately, last summer, we lost Alf, I haven't been able to locate a replacement. :-(

My most special possession given to me by a non-relative is an amethyst ring and amethyst earings that were given to me by my first love, high school sweetheart, Russ. The ring is too small now, but I wear the earing all the time. He gave me those for Christmas in 1988. I also have a blue saphire ring he gave me in high school, in 1981. They are very special to me.

Friday March 3, 2006 - 11:07pm (EST)

Anonymous said...

ALF rocks! I had one for years but finally gave it to my nephew. He's 28 now and still has it sitting on his desk.

My favorite possession is my grandfather's bible. He was fond of underlining the passages that were important to him and it's always nice when reading it to see my grandfathers marks in there.

Saturday March 4, 2006 - 05:27am (CST)