Saturday, June 14, 2008

It Was Bound to Happen, June 16, 2006


AND IF YOU ARE A VETERAN, YOU'VE BEEN COMPROMISED TOO! Yesterday, the inevitable became reality. I received my offical notification letter from the Veteran's Administration that my personal information was among that of well over 26 million veterans that the VA allowed to be pilfered from their control (my description, not their's).

The number of questions I have about this are countless, not the least of which is "Why was the bonehead responsible for allowing this to occur only given a "paid suspension" /"Paid Vacation?" (again, my description....certainly not their's) He should have been fired immediately. To be fair, this longtime VA employee claimed he had taken the information home as part of a project he was working on. (can you say "SECURITY VIOLATION?") He then said it was stolen during a breakin at his home. Why was he allowed to remove that disc with all that information from the VA offices? That isn't supposed to happen, but it did. And why did they wait so long to inform everyone of the problem? Who knows, but I bet the phrase "cover our asses" has been uttered in hushed tones quite a bit in recent months at the VA.

As I read that letter yesterday, you can imagine my anger and my blood pressure rising. Then it occured to me that I hadn't heard much about this in the media or from our elected leaders. Hmmm! Where's the media? Oh that's right....they are too busy telling us how badly things are going in Iraq and what a horrible President George Bush is. For that matter, where are our elected leaders? The Pilosi's, Reid's, Kerry's, and Kennedy's? Oh, I forgot, they're too busy watching Al Gore's global warming movie over and over again dreaming of the day when the man who was almost President might actually run for office again. And the republican leadership? All most of them seem to care about lately is posturing to see who can be the first to give amnesty to illegal aliens. Thanks Senator McCain and Senator Frist. Thanks for your support.

Everyday, I go to work, I watch and observe the world around me, and I sit in front of this keyboard thinking that there's nothing that could be said or done that could possibly be goofier that the things I might've seen or heard the day before. Then here it comes.....all the VA administrators initially could say is "he broke policy and has been put on paid suspension," like it was something as simple as violating an office dress code. What they initially refused to say is that this overpaid desk jockey violated security protocols who knows how many times and he finally got caught. They sent him on a paid vacation while they figure out a way to cover their butts..........I call that a real nice way to thank those of us who gave significant portions of our lives to help preserve their bureaucratic way of life. Since the initial reports of their handling of the situation and the outcry from veteran community, they finally instituted proceedings that should end with the termination of the employee responsible, something that should've occurred back on day one.

Bottom line, everyone should protect themselves against identity theft. If your bank offers credit monitoring service, take advantage of it. It could save you a lot of grief down the road. If your bank doesn't offer the service, go to annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228. They should be able to help you out. And finally for tips on how to guard against identity theft, the Federal Trade Commision has a webpage with some helpful tips. I'll be making those phone calls first thing Monday morning......I hope you do too.

CHECK OUT THE VA'S LATEST WEB POSTING ON THIS ISSUE HERE!

(originally posted 6-16-06 on Yahoo 360)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Mark, see I got your name right this time LOL. I heard this on the news and I just can't believe it yet it doesn't surprise me AT ALL. I am behind everyword you wrote in your blog. Now, here is the clincher, a few months ago, I too received a letter much like yours stating that the identities of a few in their data base had been violated and possible more, they only had received reports of the few where actual usage of the stolen identities.
Now you want to know where I got this letter from?
I received it from The American Red Cross because I am a blood donor. Uh huh, so they had to notify everyone of the possibility that their identities were also at risk. It was bound to happen. They told how to keep an eye on your accounts, etc. but you know. I bet any amount of money should my identity be stolen, and large sums of money being involved, I would be the one fighting for years to deal with it. I would have the headache of having to prove everthing and do all the leg work, telephone work, and still end up paying. I have seen legitimate news programs where even though criminally the thief was known and caught, the victim remained a victim.
Anyway GREAT POST and thanks for letting me ramble...on....

Saturday June 17, 2006 - 02:11am (CDT)

Anonymous said...

First of all, let me say....I love your page! What a beautiful color & background! :)
Anyways....have you ever visited a VA hospital? That should've been our first clue as to how our government runs. It is truly a shame that this happened. What a great way to say 'thank you' to all of our sacraficing veterans! I hope everything turns out ok for you!
Take care
~Debbie~

Saturday June 17, 2006 - 12:13pm (CDT)

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you , my husband also recieved this letter recently as you stated it leaves alot to be desired as far explanations go. And I want to know why this guy is the only one responsible for a Major breech in security?But we probably will never know anymore than what they ( the government ) wants us to know. :( I just hope by saying that they have this information that whom ever stole it does not decide to use it for more mis deeds. I could go on and on but why it will not change the fact that it happened.
Happy Father's day Mark!

Saturday June 17, 2006 - 10:30am (PDT)

Anonymous said...

Awwww Mark... :( Sorry to hear that you're one of them. It's also been noted that there are even ACTIVE duty members who are included in that theft.

I have to say, big time security breech! Information such as that, should NOT be taken out of the office. I don't care how long the employee has been there and what "rank" he holds.

However, I honestly don't believe that whomever stole the laptop still has the information. They probably threw out the disc a LONG time ago in order to sell the laptop. My guess, the disc is sitting in pieces at a landfill somewhere.

Saturday June 17, 2006 - 03:45pm (EDT)

Anonymous said...

We can only hope that you're right!

Saturday June 17, 2006 - 12:54pm (PDT)

Anonymous said...

Yep, we got our letter also. I did see there are a few lawsuits in process that may net some help to us. Least of all, the "free" credit reports for one year and somewhere around $1,000 per vet/AD servicemember affected.
Wait until we find out the idiot responsible is using the "robbery" as a cover. He/she probably made some money selling it to the highest bidder.

Sunday June 25, 2006 - 07:33pm (EDT)