Monday, June 2, 2008

New Years Resolutions, December 31, 2005

Okay, so it's that time of year again. It's time for us to make all those promises to ourselves, our loved ones and our friends. We always start off with the best of intentions, but somewhere along the way (more times than not) we falter and end up right back where we started. Most of the time, it's because of unrealistic expectations. Those expectations are fueled by unrealistic commercials on tv and radio for things like stop smoking patches or gum, your favorite weight loss program, your favorite gym/workout equipment and the list goes on and on. It's never as easy to kick the bad habits we accumulated over the years as they make it seem in those commercials. You gotta love Corporate America. They've managed to highjack just about every major holiday, including New Years(resolutions). That'll be another rant for another holiday.

You can even up the odds just a bit by setting reasonable goals for yourself. Don't set the bar so high that you'll never be able to acheive your goals. If you can, have a partner you can lean on while trying to reach your goal. Words of encouragement from a friend will help you much more than any commercial ever could. Most of all, make sure your goal is something you really want to achieve. There's no sense in driving yourself nuts trying to accomplish something you really don't care about to begin with.

For the record, I have only one goal for the upcoming year and that is to stop smoking (again). We'll see how it goes. I am also going on a diet with my wife to support her in her attempt to lose a few pounds. Besides it it would be kinda hard for her to stay motivated when I'm eating a bag of White Castle Burgers and fries. Funny story though....the last time we went on a diet together(doing everything exactly the same), she lost the weight she wanted to lose......and I GAINED 12 POUNDS. Go figure. Maybe I'll keep some White Castles stashed at work.
So no matter what your New Years Resolutions are, I wish you luck and success. If you don't have the need for any resolutions..................TELL ME YOUR SECRET!!!!!!!!!!

(originally posted 12-31-05 on Yahoo 360)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How awesome that you are trying to kick the smoking habit! I quit a 21 yr smoking habit almost 6 years ago. I hate to say it though, it was very easy for me. I've never wanted another one and there isn't anything I miss about it. :) How in the world you are going to quit smoking while being on a sympathy diet is beyond my comprehension!! I'll be cheering you both on. Loved the part about you gaining 12 pounds. My hubby also did some sympathy dieting while I was pregnant (and nursing) with our last one, no drinking alcohol or coffee. I KNOW he sneaked a few times, but he was awesome.

I haven't even come up with any resolutions yet. I always say I'm going to nag my hubby less, spend more QUALITY time with my kids. Well, God worked that out for the past 18 months, he was playing war in Iraq so I couldn't nag him and I had only my kids for company for 18 months, we spent alot of quality time together.. :)

We're attempting a second batch of killer Martinis and he got it pretty good so far, added Margarita mix to it and they are actually good! Happy New Year, keep our troops in your thoughts.

Saturday December 31, 2005 - 09:16pm (EST)